How long has Hillside been around? Where do you operate?

Hillside has served children and families in our local communities since 1837. Today, Hillside is one of the largest and most diverse agencies of its kind in the United States. We serve youth, adults and families through programs and residential campuses located throughout much of Western and Central New York State; in New York’s Southern Tier; and in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Most of our programs and services are available to eligible youth, adults and families from all 62 counties in New York State.

What types of services does Hillside provide?

We provide health, education and human services programs and resources that are either unavailable or in short supply in many communities, but which are often desperately needed. Although most people think of Hillside as providing treatment services on campuses and group homes, many more youth, adults and families are helped by our community-based programs in offices, schools and in neighborhoods throughout our service areas. To learn more, visit the Hillside Services section of this website.

Does Hillside only work with children?

Not at all. Our services and resources are designed to help youth, adults and whole families. Depending on their needs and life circumstances, some young people may continue to receive services well into their 20s. And our Adult Health Home care-management program is designed specifically for adults. To learn more, visit the Hillside Services section of this website.

I’ve heard about Hillside providing “family-driven” care. What does that mean?

Hillside programs are based on a four-part philosophy of care:

  • Family-Driven—the family has a primary decision-making role in the care of their child
  • Youth-Guided—each child’s unique needs and circumstances direct the course of their care
  • Trauma-Informed—creating a calm, safe and secure environment for those in need of our services
  • Culturally Competent—being aware of different perspectives and using that awareness to learn, connect and facilitate mutual respect

Learn more about Hillside’s commitment to family-driven care.

Who pays for Hillside services? Can I donate to Hillside?

Hillside services are paid for by a wide range of generous public funders and private donors. For many of our services there is no fee to the family. In some cases, eligible families may receive services as covered by Medicaid. Private donations from individuals, businesses and foundations provide essential support that advances Hillside’s mission. To give to Hillside today, visit our Donate Now page.

How can I tell if these services make a difference?

Hillside is committed not only to developing and delivering effective services, but to measuring the results of those services to make sure they are making a difference. We study the outcomes in the lives of the youth, adults and families we serve, and publish those results in annual Outcomes Reports. Learn more.

I have a family member who might benefit from Hillside’s services. What should I do?

We’re here to help you 24 hours a day. In Greater Rochester, call us at (585) 256-7500; or contact us toll-free at (888) 514-4455 or by email at info@hillside.com.

I’m worried that a child I know may be neglected or abused at home. What should I do?

If you suspect a child is being abused, it’s critical to speak up. Many people are reluctant to get involved in other families’ lives, but abuse is not merely a family matter, and the consequences of staying silent can be devastating. To report child abuse and neglect in New York State, call 800-342-3720.

How can I apply for a job with Hillside?

Hillside is always looking for talented, enthusiastic people to join our diverse team. To review current job opportunities and apply for your next career, visit our Careers page.

What is Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection?

HWSC gives at-risk youth essential support and training that helps them stay in high school and achieve their goals of graduation, college and career. Our program coordinates youth development services, academic support and job-skills readiness training to thousands of students in participating school districts every year. Since it was launched in 1987, more than 9,000 HW-SC students have graduated from high schools across New York State and in Maryland. Learn more on our HW-SC page, or contact a regional HW-SC representative:

  • Monroe Region (Rochester): 585-256-7500
  • Central Region (Syracuse/Binghamton): 585-256-7500
  • Prince George’s County, MD: 888-514-4455

What sort of medical staff provide Residential Treatment at Hillside? Are pre-existing conditions or other medical needs addressed, or would I need to coordinate outside care for my child in addition to whatever treatment they receive?

Hillside’s highly trained health care staff attend to most medical and psychiatric needs experienced by youth in Residential Treatment. Licensed clinical professionals include Registered Dieticians, Licensed Practical Nurses, Registered Nurses, Psychiatric and Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Pediatricians and Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists. They work with Hillside program staff to ensure high-quality health care is provided. Hillside also maintains strong relationships with local hospitals and medical providers to provide higher levels of specialty medical and psychiatric care, as well as emergency care.

How can I give feedback on my family’s experience with Hillside?

Hillside strives to provide the best possible services to our children and families, and we are always looking for feedback to help us improve those services. If someone in your family has previously been or is currently enrolled in a Hillside program, you can tell us your experience by calling 877-346-1190 or emailing us at feedback@hillside.com. You can also take our online Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about reporting fraud and abuse.

Does Hillside have a Corporate Compliance Policy?

Hillside’s Corporate Compliance Policy is regularly reviewed and updated. View the most recent version.

How do I obtain service recipient (patient) records?

Hillside provides an array of health, behavioral health and educational services. In compliance with the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), we maintain service recipient (patient) records of the services provided by Hillside to all individuals. These records can only be released by submitting a written request, which includes signed authorization from the service recipient (if 18 or older) or legal guardian (if the recipient is under 18 or legally in need of a guardian).

  • If you are a service recipient, or legal guardian of a service recipient, you must complete a Request to Review and/or Copy the Clinical Record This document must be notarized OR signed in the presence of a Hillside staff member who can verify your identity. These steps are necessary to protect your identity and privacy. The completed form can be sent to records@hillside.com, faxed to 315-428-3817, or mailed to Hillside (attn.: Records), 1183 Monroe Avenue, Rochester, NY 14609.
  • If you are a business entity (e.g., healthcare provider, school district, law office, etc.), your request must be submitted in writing via a cover letter on agency/business letterhead. You must include an authorization to share the information that has been signed by the service recipient or their guardian, and that specifically identifies your business and Hillside as the parties authorized to exchange information with each other. Hillside does not accept generic authorizations that do not list Hillside. Your request letter and signed authorization can be sent to records@hillside.com, faxed to 315-428-3817, or mailed to Hillside (attn.: Records), 1183 Monroe Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620. Requests sent via email will be subject to confirmation if sent from a free email application such as Gmail, Yahoo, etc. before the information is provided. Hillside will provide the requested information within 30 days of receipt.

What is Hillside’s Wellness Policy?

You can view a copy of Hillside’s Local Wellness policy here.

Translate »